Getting prepared for Mercury Retrograde
The next Mercury Retrograde will be from July 26th to August 19th 2018. Here’s what you need to know:
Including the influence of pre and post-shadow periods, the complete Mercury retrograde cycle extends from July 7th until September 2nd, 2018. Although most people focus only on the time when Mercury is actually going to be ‘retrograde’, it’s so helpful to understand how we are influenced by retrograde ‘vibes’ during this ENTIRE period. More on how to flow with the shifting energy of this ‘astrological season’ below!
This Mercury retrograde cycle for July-September will occur in the sign of Leo. More on the influence of Leo’s energy below!
‘FLOWING’ WITH MERCURY RETROGRADE VIBES
When we learn to flow with astrological rhythms, we maximize energetic support for our actions and minimize ‘resistance’. We can avoid actions that are not supported by retrograde energies.
Activities to avoid during retrograde!
- Making financial commitments – making big purchases, signing contracts, or locking yourself into plans that you cannot back out of without a financial penalty are all very risky during retrograde. This is a time when unexpected events are more likely, causing you to be thrown off course.
- Starting ‘New’ Projects – The outcomes of starting a new project, a new job, or launching a new product or service through your business during Mercury retrograde are typically only short-term. So, if you want to ‘launch’ a new endeavor that is intended to last, plan to do it before or after retrograde.
- Signing contracts – When you sign a contract, you do so with the assumption that all of the relevant facts and details are known – however during Mercury retrograde, remember that the chances are much higher that we do not have yet all of the relevant information!!!
8 TIPS FOR ‘FLOWING’ WITH MERCURY RETROGRADE ENERGY!
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind over the coming retrograde period that can help you maintain balance in your life, minimize the resistance and ‘flow’ with this energy.
Remember the natural rhythm of the universe brings cycles of ‘ebb and flow’, like inhale and exhale, masculine and feminine, plant and harvest. Enjoy!
- Embrace the need for balance. Retrogrades represent a necessary universal balance in life. Think of the need for retrograde cycles in the same way that you think of your body’s need for sleep: in order to have the energy that we need during each day, we need to rest and allow other systems in our bodies to take over – cell regeneration, healing, digestion, and detoxification. These are natural cycles, and when choose to roll with them instead of against them, we exert less effort and can find it easier to maintain balance in our own lives.
- Be Easy-Going. Mercury retrograde reminds us that sometimes the best place to be is just where we are. This is a time to let go of ‘forcing’ any particular outcome; when we try to push or force something to happen is exactly when we seem to feel the ‘slingshot’ effect that whips us back.
- Take care of ‘unfinished business’. Mercury retrograde signals that it’s time to take care of ‘loose ends’ and to finish projects which have been underway for some time. Retrograde cycles are very supportive of finishing up any work in progress in order to make space for new beginnings to come once we are clear of the retrograde influence.
- Take an objective look at the recent past. Use this time to review what’s taken place over the past several months and reflect on what ideas or opinions have evolved as this can be a time for gaining a fresh perspective. This is also a great time to pick up on an idea that you had in the past, but never followed through with. You can also let go of feeling held back by the past, to realize what you can learn from recent experiences, and then let go in order to renew.
- Relish in the present moment – This is a time to be grateful for all of your blessings and to simply let yourself take pleasure. Press the snooze button on ambition for the next few weeks and on feeling like you need something more to be happy.
- Take care of yourself. Leave some extra space in your calendar for personal time, or to just give yourself a day to ‘put things in order’ in your life. Slow down and give yourself extra time for activities that you normally rush through; have a relaxing epsom salt bath, finish that book you started weeks ago, spend an afternoon cooking your favorite comfort meal. Let yourself lose track of time.
- Let go of inflated expectations. This is a time to be kind to yourself and let go of rigid thinking or expectations. Delightful miracles will come onto your path when you release attachment to the outcome.
- Avoid major spending. Mercury retrograde is more of a time for living in the present moment and tying off lose ends from the past, so it isn’t necessarily the best time for making major purchases and investments for the future. Mercury retrograde is also not a good time to make major decisions, financial commitments or to sign contracts because it is typically a time when relevant facts are temporarily ‘hidden’.
The word ‘retrograde’ literally means ‘to step backwards’ and this term is used in astrology to describe the times when, from our perspective here on earth, a planetary body is observed to be moving counter to its normal direction of orbit.
During a retrograde cycle, the energies which are expressed by that planetary body have a more ‘introspective’ focus. The usual ‘forward’ momentum shifts, encouraging us to ‘look backwards’.
A retrograde cycle has 3 phases:
(1) Pre-shadow phase – the influence of the retrograde energy starts to be felt and grows stronger with each day. The planetary body which is about to go retrograde will be passing back over the path which it is currently transiting when the planet is in the retrograde phase. During the pre-shadow phase, the orbit slows down until it eventually reaches the point where it will switch directions.
(2) Retrograde phase – the orbit is counter to the normal direction and the planetary body appears to be ‘moving backwards’
(3) Post-shadow phase – the influence of the retrograde is still felt but starts to slowly diminish with each day. The planetary body is moving forward again, retracing its steps for the third time over the same path. It’s moving slowly at first (it is said to be ‘sleepy’ during this time) but with each day it picks up speed until it fully resumes its normal pace.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN MERCURY IS RETROGRADE IN LEO
Starting July 7th, we’ll begin to feel the influence of Mercury retrograde easing in. Remembering that retrogrades are a sort of ‘astrological season‘, you can expect the energies to ease in slowly and perhaps subtly at first. Mercury retrograde affects the efficiency of communication and transportation (Mercury is also known as the ‘Messenger God’), causes frequent shifts in plans and creates technological glitches or setbacks (more on this below). Instead of perpetually looking FORWARD, it calls us to look INWARD or TO THE PAST with a renewed sense of perspective which can bring new inspiration and insight. Leo energy represents creativity, performance and the arts, romantic love, children and hobbies.
Here are some themes that can come up during this retrograde cycle:
- Revisiting creative pursuits and unfinished projects with a fresh perspective
- ‘Rediscovering’ an old pastime or hobby you once loved
- Easing ambitions or asking for help from others. Releasing yourself from the burden of having to take on a challenging task on your own.
- Being patient. Allowing your pursuits to have less structure and more ‘flow’, while maintaining faith in truly positive outcomes
- Spending time ‘unplugged’ from technology and especially out in nature
- Letting go of trying to fill your time with commitments and other engagements
- Addressing conflicts between parents and children
- Rekindling relationships with ‘old flames’ and/or resolving old conflicts
- Enjoying some ‘guilt-free’ fun!
Understanding how a specific transit will influence you personally depends on your unique birth chart; for a private online reading please view my offerings here.