Taking brave action and following your heart’s calling are key themes of this January’s Full Moon Lunar Eclipse in Cancer.
The January 2020 Lunar Eclipse Full Moon at 20º00 Cancer on Friday, January 10th, 2:21pm EST.
Cancer energy is nurturing, intuitive and loyal. Ruled by the Moon, this energy represents matters of the heart, the mother archetype, unconditional love, home and family. Expressing emotions and especially desire very intensely, this sign also rules courageous acts. It represents our sense of vulnerability and need for emotional security.
Key Themes of the Lunar Eclipse in Cancer
- Letting go of the pressure to be strong for everyone else
- Expressing yourself from with more honesty, compassion and vulnerability
- Following your heart’s calling
- Taking brave action
- Pursuing your ambitions in pragmatic and/or strategic ways
- Becoming aware of the ways you may be neglecting deep desires in order to meet the expectations of your family, society and/or someone you look up to
- Challenging authoritative figures and/or structures
- Shifts in what you value about your reputation
- Significant changes in home and/or family life
- Shifts in relationships with parents
- Confronting abuses of power (this could involve your own behavior or the behavior of others)
- Letting go of belief systems that are holding you back; breaking away from ‘conventional’ thinking
- Expressing emotions that you have been afraid to share with others
Lunar Eclipses occur approximately every 6 months, when the earth is directly in line with an opposing Sun and Moon (during a Full Moon). Each Eclipse season (including the recent Solar Eclipse in Capricorn/Sagittarius) triggers an energetic shift that will set the tone for the next ~6 months. Eclipses generally involve unexpected changes, new opportunities, transformation and the beginning of new chapters in relationships.
Although they may bring radical, unexpected or seemingly unwelcome change, Eclipses trigger important ‘course corrections’ that jolt you back on track wherever you have strayed from your destined path. The Winter 2020 started around mid-November and will continue until late February.
The energy of the Full Moon at the time of the Eclipse brings elements of life to a point of culmination and/or release. Full Moons bring about key decisions, personal revelations, communication breakthroughs, shifts in relationships, endings and/or transformation.
Like all Full Moons, Lunar Eclipses can stir up intense internal conflicts, resulting in impulsive acts or emotional outbursts. They are especially dramatic when you have been resisting a necessary change or avoiding the acknowledgement of a difficult truth – there is a subconscious urge to set free what is being suppressed. At the same time, the experiences and insights triggered by each Full Moon enable you to gain valuable self-awareness and perspective.
Full Moons can also reveal ‘blindspots’, such as addictive tendencies, unconscious fears or unintegrated traumas from the past. You can tune into how energy is manifesting in your own experience by noticing where fear or the desire for security are driving your behavior, often ‘irrationally’ (this is where the term ‘Full Moon Madness’ comes from!) At the same time, as we peer into the face of our own shadow side, we also have the opportunity to neutralize unconscious triggers and behavior patterns that no longer serve us. Consciously working with the energy of the Full Moon, you may release and heal grievances, resentment and old wounds.
Tuning Into The Healing Energy of Full Moons
Being healed doesn’t mean that the pain never existed. It means you have evolved to a place where it no longer controls your life.
Working consciously with the energy of the Full Moon means that you can tap into its power to bring awareness to residual emotions from past experiences and/or self-limiting beliefs that may be operating beneath the level of conscious awareness. By consciously acknowledging these energies, you allow for the opportunity to cleanse and heal pain, grief or other traumas. During the Full Moon, your sensitivities are heightened – you are literally FEELING more intensely and the potential for healing can be accessed by leaning into and exploring the emotions that arise. Feeling is the first step towards healing. You can use the energy of the Full Moon to;
- Forgive yourself as well as others
- Release emotional emotional ‘charges’
- Integrate past experiences, acknowledging the associated lesson or wisdom and taking on a fresh perspective
- Evolve out of a victim mentality
- Gain a deeper understanding of the unconscious desires, fears or needs that drive your behavior
2020 Cancer Lunar Eclipse/Full Moon
We feel the heightened energy of a Full Moon about 3 days before and after it occurs; I call this the Full Moon Power Period.
Those who have their natal Sun, Moon, Ascendant or other key placements in the Power Period signs will feel the influence of this Full Moon Lunar Eclipse most intensely.
- Jan 7th-8th in Gemini
- Jan 9th-10th in Cancer
- Jan 11th-12th in Leo
- Jan 13th in Virgo
For all astrological signs, the effects of an Eclipse can start to be felt 4 to 6 weeks leading up to (or following) the actual event. The Eclipse also triggers an energetic shift that continues to influence us for 6 months. The precise influence of the Lunar Eclipse is different for each individual, depending on their personal natal chart. A reading of your natal and transit charts for the time of the Eclipse will reveal more specific insights
Aspects Accompanying the January 2020 Lunar Eclipse
The transformational forces in Capricorn signal a period of tension and radical change related to the ways in which you experience success, leadership and integrity.
This transit is a calling to embody your personal values in all areas of life.
Jupiter conjunct the South Node in Capricorn
- Becoming aware of beliefs and/or values that no longer serve you
- Re-evaluating priorities and expectations
- Shifting ideals around leadership, authority and respectability
Exaggerations or Shadows of Cancer Energy:
The Moon influences the emotions which guide our desires, decisions and needs. With the heightened energetic influence of the Full Moon, it’s important to watch out these excessive expressions:
- Being caught up in your desires for love, companionship and/or emotional security
- Seeking emotional validation from outside of yourself
- Emotional manipulation
Bringing Full Moon vibes into Balance
Opposing the sign of the Full Moon, the Sun, Venus and the North Node will be in Capricorn. Tapping into the Full Moon’s opposing archetypal energy can help you balance your experience and bring awareness to how the Full Moon is influencing your emotional triggers, reactions and fears.
Tuning into Capricorn Vibes
Capricorn vibes represent discernment, precision and integrity in action. This archetype lives to play the game and does so with remarkable patience and self-discipline. It’s also highly strategic, instinctively recognizing and seizing opportunities.
In its highest vibrations, Capricorn energy represents bringing your personal gifts and ideals into the world through the role you play in your public life.
- Awareness is key to consciously moving through astrological transits and embracing the lessons they have to offer us on our journey towards greater personal development.
- Remember that everyone is feeling intense or exaggerated emotions right now and might be prone to more ‘irrational’ behavior – your compassion goes a long way!
- Be willing to embrace change and the gifts that may hide within something that is currently unknown
Private Consultations & Coaching
Understanding how a transit is truly influencing you, and the greatest potential outcomes, depends on the specific energies and nuances depicted in your personal birth chart. If you are interested in exploring these energetic layers in more depth, consider booking a private consultation.