The next Mercury Retrograde will be from June 18th to July 12th, 2020.
Here’s what you need to know:
Mercury will station retrograde at 12:59 EST, Thursday June 18th, at 14° 45 Cancer. It stations direct on Sunday, July 12th, 4:27am at 5°29 Cancer.
IMPORTANT! The Complete Mercury Retrograde Cycle (including the influence of the pre and post-shadow periods) extends from:
June 2nd to July 26th, 2020.
Although there is a great deal of focus on the time when Mercury is actually going to be ‘retrograde’, it’s VERY helpful to understand how we are influenced by retrograde vibes during the entire period or ‘season’. Retrograde energies will build slowly and perhaps subtly at first, although there are often clues during these early days to indicate where and how this cycle will influence you personally.
The ‘peak’ or most intense retrograde vibes will be present just before July 12th, and the tension begins to ease once Mercury stations direct. There will also be a powerful activation by the July 4th Lunar Eclipse.
Common Experiences during Mercury Retrograde
- Frustrations or confusion resulting from miscommunication
- Key information is missing or ‘veiled’, especially related to plans, key decisions, agreements (contracts) and financial commitments
- Plans are disrupted, and plans that you make now for the future are more likely to become disrupted down the road
- Feeling tired or wanting to stay close to home; backing out of social commitments at the last minute
- Transportation blunders, breakdowns, delays etc.
- A focus on the past, which may involve working through something currently unresolved
- A focus inward; introspection and reflection
- Being in a state of receiving; heightened intuition
- Spontaneous inspiration leading to ‘magic moments’
- Unexpected opportunities and synchronicities come to you
Instead of perpetually looking FORWARD, this astrological season cycle calls for a look TO THE PAST, as well as INWARD exploration.
This Summer 2020 Mercury Retrograde occurs in Cancer
- Travel (especially domestic or short distance)
- Transportation (vehicles, planes, trains & their schedules, etc)
- The transmission of ‘messages’ – In Greek mythology, Mercury was the messenger god.
In the Zodiac, Mercury rules Gemini and co-rules Virgo with Chiron.
Cancer energy is nurturing, intuitive and loyal. Ruled by the Moon, this energy represents matters of the heart, the mother archetype, unconditional love, home, childhood and family. This sign expresses emotions and especially desire very intensely; it also rules courageous acts. Cancer vibes represent your need for meaningful connection, emotional security and validation. Shadow expressions to be mindful of with Cancer energy are manipulative behavior, neediness, and/or melancholy.
Mercury Retrograde in Cancer directs you to assess how your intuition and emotions guide your decisions, actions and words. Are you conscious of these forces? Are you being swept up by your emotions so much that they overpower you? Are you suppressing and cutting yourself off from your emotional sensitivities? It’s time to bring your attention to that ‘touchy-feely’ emotional realm, however challenging that may be. This retrograde cycle also brings your awareness to hidden desires that you may not be allowing yourself to prioritize. You have the opportunity now to release internal blocks to feeling and acting courageously.
It can be important to seek out the relationships and/or environments which allow you to express yourself freely and safely, and where you are fully able to show vulnerability. Nurture relationships with those who truly honor and value you, and assess whether you are truly communicating your core values to others. This can also be a time to uncover, acknowledge and release old wounds, disappointments and grief, especially relating to childhood and family.
This summer will be a time to assess relationships objectively, and it can also be time to release yourself from the bondage of co-dependence. Your attention may be drawn to where you have been overly reliant on others for a sense of happiness and wellbeing. You may also realize that you are able nurture your emotional needs by cultivating a sense of independence and self-reliance.
‘FLOWING’ WITH MERCURY RETROGRADE VIBES
When we learn to flow with astrological rhythms, we maximize energetic support for our actions and minimize resistance. You can do this by avoiding actions which are not supported by retrograde energies.
Some ‘quick tips’ for flowing with retrograde vibes:
- Go with the flow!
- Relax and trust that you don’t know what ‘ought’ to be
- Create extra time and space in your schedule for rest and self-care
- Look for the ‘silver lining’ when there are unexpected derailments to your plans, magical opportunities lie beneath the surface!
General Activities to avoid during retrograde!
- Making financial commitments or plans which are inflexible – making big purchases or locking yourself into plans that you cannot easily back out of without a financial penalty are all very risky during retrograde. Remember, key information is missing or hidden during retrograde and its shadow periods. This is also a time when unexpected events are more likely to arise, which can shift the assumptions underlying these commitments.
- Initiating New Long-Term Projects – Starting new projects such as beginning a new job or launching a new product or service through your business during Mercury retrograde typically lend themselves only to short-term prospects. So, if you want to launch a new long-term endeavor, plan to do it before or after the retrograde and shadow periods.
- Signing contracts – When you sign a contract, you do so with the assumption that all of the relevant facts and details are known – however during Mercury retrograde, remember that the chances are much higher that we do not have yet all of the relevant information!
Subscribe to my newsletter and receive an overview of astrological influences each month + other exclusive offerings!
8 MORE TIPS FOR ‘FLOWING’ WITH MERCURY RETROGRADE ENERGY!
Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind over the coming retrograde period that can help you maintain balance in your life, minimize the resistance and ‘flow’ with this energy.
Remember the natural rhythm of the universe brings cycles of ‘ebb and flow’, like inhale and exhale, masculine and feminine, plant and harvest. Enjoy!
- Embrace the need for balance. Retrogrades represent a necessary universal balance in life. Think of the need for retrograde cycles in the same way that you think of your body’s need for sleep: in order to have the energy that we need during each day, we need to rest and allow other systems in our bodies to take over – cell regeneration, healing, digestion, and detoxification. These are natural cycles, and when choose to roll with them instead of against them, we exert less effort and can find it easier to maintain balance in our own lives.
- Be Easy-Going. Mercury retrograde reminds us that sometimes the best place to be is just where we are. This is a time to let go of ‘forcing’ any particular outcome; when we try to push or force something to happen is exactly when we seem to feel the ‘slingshot’ effect that whips us back.
- Take care of ‘unfinished business’. Mercury retrograde signals that it’s time to take care of ‘loose ends’ and to finish projects which have been underway for some time. Retrograde cycles are very supportive of finishing up any work in progress in order to make space for new beginnings to come once we are clear of the retrograde influence.
- Take an objective look at the recent past. Use this time to review what’s taken place over the past several months and reflect on what ideas or opinions have evolved as this can be a time for gaining a fresh perspective. This is also a great time to pick up on an idea that you had in the past, but never followed through with. You can also let go of feeling held back by the past, to realize what you can learn from recent experiences, and then let go in order to renew.
- Relish in the present moment –This is a time to be grateful for all of your blessings and to simply let yourself take pleasure. Press the snooze button on ambition for the next few weeks and on feeling like you need something more to be happy.
- Take care of yourself. Leave some extra space in your calendar for personal time, or to just give yourself a day to ‘put things in order’ in your life. Slow down and give yourself extra time for activities that you normally rush through; have a relaxing epsom salt bath, finish that book you started weeks ago, spend an afternoon cooking your favorite comfort meal. Let yourself lose track of time.
- Let go of inflated expectations. This is a time to be kind to yourself and let go of rigid thinking or expectations. Delightful miracles will come onto your path when you release attachment to the outcome.
- Avoid major spending. Mercury retrograde is more of a time for living in the present moment and tying off lose ends from the past, so it isn’t necessarily the best time for making major purchases and investments for the future. Mercury retrograde is also not a good time to make major decisions, financial commitments or to sign contracts because it is typically a time when relevant facts are temporarily ‘hidden’.
Private Consultations & Coaching
Understanding how a transit is truly influencing you, and the greatest potential outcomes, depends on the specific energies and nuances depicted in your personal birth chart. If you are interested in exploring these energetic layers in more depth, consider booking a private consultation.